HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 3

From:
THOMAS COOK <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
THOMAS COOK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:01:07 -0600
Right now I am not aware of any real encryption that is currently available.

My client went looking earlier this year and could not find a reliable 128
bit encryption product, got lots of promises but now providers.

So being, I have take ownership of a 928 with the purposes of creating a
commercially available 128 minimum standards and hope to have something out
later this year.

I would be very happy with yours or anyone's comments in regards to this
subject. I have some experience writing 64 bit encryption in the past, when
this was the legal permissible standard.

My former client needs 128 bit, with a public key, to meet HCFA standards.
For now we are making due with compressing the data and using Microsoft
encryption via the Internet.

This while workable is kludge at best.

I have not thought about doing databases and you present an interesting
point for discussion.

Is there an interest in such an item.

As to progress so far:

     I have several sets of source code, most in 'C' from various platforms.

    About 85% of this I have been able tweak and to compile and run on the
3000, but not all of it yet. I am currently planning on being in Cupertino &
    San Jose for the February conferences.

    I need work on working in POSIX land as that is probably where most of
the work will actually be done.

    To this I am trying to package a commercially acceptable compression
software that can make/unmake PKZIP, TAR & LZW. This to allow for
    cross platform running. Which means that sometime this year I am going
to need to buy an NT server and a UNIX (LINUX) server as well.

To those listening, please send me your suggestions, code and comments.

The 64 bit encryption I wrote a few years ago was able to pass my Client's
very strenuous internal IT audit. I do mean strenuous audit. They went as
far as to have me produce multiple files of 10 characters changing only the
first character so that they could work out a pattern. I did not have to
tell them what those characters were or what i changed them too, I just made
10 files with a change to the first character in each.

They wanted 100+ bit encryption, but thankfully there had been several
stories in the press about the persecution of those who where making this
commercially available. I simply asked for indemnity and a cash bond to
protect me and I would work on it, they declined.

Things have changed and so I am now working on this issue with an eye on
even more stringent level.

128 bit, is breakable if you know how and have a little time.

Regards and hope to hear from you.

Thomas G. Cook