HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 3

Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 02:05:13 +0000
At 14:13 15/01/01 -0500, Chris wrote

>     I'm curious if anyone knows. I'm looking into putting a ISBN router on
>my current LAN network (wish has a hp3000 mainframe on it), in order for
>the network to become a WAN with our 4 sister offices, each with there own
>network, The idea is to give everyone (even those employees 100s of miles
>away) using the system to access the HP3000 system which is at the central
>office (where the router would be).

First of all, do you mean ISDN?  Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I've
never heard of ISBN (except as "International Standard Book Number").

>My main question is, will a ISBN modem attached to the LAN network at
>each sister office be able to support each terminal on the on the sister
>Network.

Assuming that you mean ISDN, the simple answer is "No".  However, an ISDN
router at each office will do the job (I use an ISDN router to access my
ISP from my LAN).

I believe there is software that will turn a Win PC into a router, but I
don't know the details (I think that Denys does).

However, I think I would look into the cost of making ISDN calls,
particularly if you have to go via a long-distance carrier - data calls are
not as competitive as voice calls and you could get a nasty surprise.

You can get private ISDN lines but you might want to look into frame
relay.  It will generally be as fast as, or faster than ISDN and you can
also use it for telephone calls between offices (if you can spring for the
extra cost of the more fancy routers).  It also gives you a permanent
connection between all the sister offices in both directions and there is
no possibility of any unwanted intrusions.

John D. Alleyn-Day  [log in to unmask]
Alleyn-Day International Ltd.
Alleyn House, 15 Green Place, Oxford OX1 4RF, England
Tel: +44(0)7020-939408; Fax: +44(0)1865-200256
3 Friars Lane,  Mll Valley  CA 94941-3723  U.S.A.
Tel: +1-408-286-6421  http://www.Alleyn-Day.com