HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 3

From:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:11:10 -0800
Without going into detail, the answer to your question is "yes and no".

YES, when deregulation of the power industry was first brought about, it was
meant to do just that: provide end users with the choice of from whom they
wished to purchase their power, with PGE (the owner of the lines) being paid
a small fee for the delivery system.  This then would be a system much like
we have with telephones, wherein we can have MCI or Sprint be our phone
provider and they pay AT&T for the use of their lines.  And yet....

NO, that's not what is happening because when the system was deregulated,
PGE was placed under a state commission which limits what they can charge
for the power (supposedly for a fixed length of time), but the private firms
which have purchased the power plants are free to charge whatever they like
for the power.  Because this middle man exists, the consumer never gets to
use the power of "I won't buy from you because your service is bad or too
expensive"; and everyone is getting screwed.

Rs~
my opinions

Russ Smith, Systems Consultant
Problem Solved, Vacaville, CA