HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 3

From:
Alan Yeo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:01:30 -0600
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Wirt Atmar
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>The features included in this new version are:

<SNIP lots of good features>

>     o Based on the discussion on the list of about a month ago, a "smart"
>return feature was added to QCTerm so that if set when in block mode, all of
>the keyboard "enter" keys now mean ENTER in the HP sense. A new escape
>sequence was also defined to allow the host to put the terminal into this
>mode.

Good to see this in QCTerm also Wirt, it has always been a major bug
bear for users of the HP3000 in mixed Block Mode / Character mode
environments. It was why it was one of the first features we designed
and had Implemented in ScreenJet Emulator and V/PLus Graphical User
Interface. Although I think you will find as we did that it needs to be
a bit more sophisticated than Return always being Enter in block mode.
You might like to think about also implementing the contra setting as we
did in character mode, which is to take Enter as Return. Feedback from
customers seems to suggest that this is equally beneficial to users.

But believe me folks after using it for a week or so there is no way you
will want to go back to using a terminal or emulator that doesn't have
this feature.

<As a minor PLUG>

The free ScreenJet Emulator can be downloaded from WWW.Millware.com

<End PLUG>

Alan Yeo

Alan Yeo
[log in to unmask]    Just because you're paranoid
Phone +44 1684 291710   it doesn't mean someone isn't!.
Fax   +44 1684 291712