HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 3

From:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:41:03 -0800
I was about to disagree with Paul's assertion re the "streamed by" info,
until I realized that the wealth of info to which I'm accustomed comes from
MPEX, not MPE...

 JOB SOMEJOB,MANAGER.SYS,PUB.
 Priority = DS; Inpri = 8; Time = UNLIMITED seconds.
 Job number = #j2040.
 WED, JAN 17, 2001,  2:16 AM.
 HP3000  Release: C.55.00   User Version: C.55.00
 MPE/iX  HP31900 C.05.08  Copyright Hewlett-Packard 1987.
 All rights reserved.
 STREAMED BY NUTHAJOB,OPERATOR.SYS (#J2038) ON LDEV# 10
    STREAM DATE:   WED, JAN 17, 2001,  2:16 AM
 I am HOBBES (HP3000 series 957LX)...
 Welcome!  You are now signed on.
 :COMMENT   STREAM FILE SOMEJOB.JOBS.SYS
 :COMMENT     STREAMED BY NUTHAJOB,OPERATOR.SYS,OPERATOR (A JOB STREAM)
 :COMMENT     RUNNING PROGRAM MAIN.PUB.VESOFT
 :COMMENT     ON WED, JAN 17, 2001,  2:16 AM

It would be nice if the source of the ":COMMENT"s were better identified,
but I'd consider that completely unnecessary if we can assume it's "the OS".

Adding more ":COMMENT"s by the OS should no more interfere with 3rd party
jobstream manglers than any other comment.  So I'm with Paul 100% - the more
info, the better, especially in exceptional conditions such as "Aborted by
system management".

Somebody complained that these OS insertions might interfere with in-line
reporting contained in $stdlists; I really don't see that as an issue:  if
you want your report IN the $stdlist, you could always produce it externally
and then copy it in:

Instead of...
:file myreport=$stdlist
:run mypgm

why not...
:run mypgm
:print myreport

...?  Maybe because you want to see exactly how far MYPGM got before it was
aborted?

Here's my One more vote for more info, but I dunno about its priority; there
are more important problems, such as 36GB disc or disk.

Tracy Pierce