HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 3

From:
Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:12:54 -0800
Lars wrote:
>One question that arises from the other thread...
>
>  If Samba/iX were to support the encrypted passwords like the
>  Unix version of Samba does, this would mean an /etc/smbpasswd
>  file to maintain Samba users and their "Windows style password
>  hashes" -- a password repository completely separate from the
>  MPE user and account passwords (just like smbpasswd on Unix is
>  completely separate from /etc/passwd, as far as I understand).
>
>  The question is... would this be desired by MPE system managers?

Well, it would definitely be nice NOT to have to tweak the windows registry
on all clients that want to use Samba/iX. And I don't think it would be too
inconvenient to use a separate smbpasswd file. Since regular MPE passwords
are stored in clear-text, it should be easy to script a synchronization
that would build a smbpasswd file based on a selected subset of the MPE
user/acct directory - if that's what you want to do. It could be considered
useful to have a separate control point for smbpasswd settings, so you
could selectively grant access to shares without necessarily allowing a
corresponding direct MPE logon.