HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 3

From:
THOMAS COOK <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
THOMAS COOK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:16:30 -0600
The test I described was not mine to perform, develop or in anyway take part
of or in. This was mandated by the IT auditor's assigned to my client and
the area that I supported.

I have not offered or implied insult to any member, listener or sympathizer
in the HP3000 community especially this newsgroup. So that the comments
expressed were uncalled for and to be short a tad rude.

If as some people seem to feel, 128 bit is secure then so be it. Those same
people probably use the 'club' to prevent auto-theft, even though the thief
shows up with a tow-truck.

Any competent book on cryptography will inform you that given time and
resources all crypto's can be broken.

I think most commercial grade 128 bit is down to around < 20 min. This I am
not sure about as it was around 3 hours with 100mhz PC's so the stronger
1Ghz+ should make significant differences.

Thank you for your time.

Thomas G. Cook

Oh, so far I do like the book, but then I get interested in cryptography
reading Alvin Fernilad and his adventures. If I misspelled the name, sorry.

"COLE,GLENN (Non-HP-SantaClara,ex2)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote in
message news:942c0902qto@enews2.newsguy.com...