HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 2

Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:04:24 -0500
X-no-Archive:yes
Joseph, I feel much the same way.

It remains to be seen what happens with a data warehouse that lives in
Oracle on our prod 3000. I would like nothing more than to convert it to
Image. I know Allbase is HP's target platform, and I don't begrudge them
making some money on this (gee, maybe they'll put 0.5% of the net into
marketing...), not that Image is exactly free for the taking. But our
customer just isn't doing anything with this now stable data warehouse other
than feeding it; nothing has changed in a while, and nothing else will, and
the tables are simple enough. Give me date fields, and I believe that I can
do what needs to be done in Image, and quit worrying over upgrade issues. I
could even get some joy from writing feeder scripts with SuprTool and
maintenance jobs using Adager, and even track the slow and steady growth
with the Adager Console.

As for the house the ego built, I hope that whatever it costs, Bill G
donates a matching sum to appropriate charities, like Habitat for Humanity,
if for no more ignoble reason than to demonstrate what kind of housing that
kind of money can buy. Beat that, Larry.

Greg Stigers
http://www.cgiusa.com
winter virii make me crotchety