HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:00:52 -0800
Re:
> Is there a command to list all volume classes defined in volutil?

Why?  At first glance, I can see no reason to want to do this...the
information you get back wouldn't seem to be too useful.  E.g., if you
have MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET with classes DISC and FRED, and USERS with
classes DISC and SALES, "FRED" and "SALES" aren't interchangable...a file
can only be put on disk in a class in the one volume set the group is HOMEVS'd
to.

> be tedious on large systems. I think the ideal would be "showclass @
> volumes" but wildcards are not supported by showclass in volutil. Is there
> another way to do this?

I suspect you could create an MPEX script (or sh/grep/cut :) that would
do what you want:

   DSTAT ALL
and manipulate that.

Here's an awkward example.  It's awkward because of the @#$%^ incompatibilities
between the shell and the rest of the world.  Specifically, "callci VOLUTIL ..."
usually fails on my 6.0 system because VOLUTIL is unhappy about the output file
(I think).  Other attempts to have a shell-only solution resulted in multiple
"waitany pid" error messages (Mark Bixby is familiar with that problem!).

So, I created two files:

   /usr/local/bin/classes.part1            (marked:  chmod +x)
and
   CLASSES.CMD     (in my HPPATH path)

/usr/local/bin/classes.part1 is two lines (the second line is a longgg line):
   rm -f /tmp/classes.tmp
   callci "DSTAT ALL" | grep " MASTER " | cut -d "(" -f2  | cut -d "-" -f1  |  xargs -iX echo volutil \"showset X classes\" >> /tmp/classes.tmp

CLASSES.CMD is:
   run sh.hpbin.sys;info="/usr/local/bin/classes.part1"
   xeq /tmp/classes.tmp
   purge /tmp/classes.tmp

Obviously, two users couldn't use this at the same time.

Here's a sample run:

   :classes

END OF PROGRAM

 Mirvutil  A.01.00, (C) Hewlett-Packard Co., 1991. All Rights Reserved.
volutil: showset MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET classes

Volume-class name:                       Index:
-----------------                        -----

  DISC                                      1
  LDEV1                                     2
  NOTLDEV1                                  3

 Mirvutil  A.01.00, (C) Hewlett-Packard Co., 1991. All Rights Reserved.
volutil: showset TEST classes

Volume-class name:                       Index:

  DISC                                      1

You could add code to strip the blanks, and the VOLUTIL/MIRVUTIL prompts.

Note that I avoided "END OF PROGRAM" from the "sh.hpbin" by using
XEQ instead of RUN....I couldn't safely avoid that via an implied run,
because both "sh" and "sh.hpbin.sys"
might trigger someone's "sh" UDC/command file, getting incorrect results.

Stan Sieler                                           [log in to unmask]
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html          www.allegro.com/sieler