HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 2

From:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:25:55 -0800
Sorry I wasn't clear.  That's what I get for writing so quickly.

In this case the intuitive answer is correct.  More spindles are
better.  Much better.  I saw two egregious mistakes in my original
posting.  Let me post a corrected statement:

>Regarding Summit's recommendation to use the 9gb drives configured as 4gb
>drives that is likely a performance recommendation.  One with which I
>agree, I might add.  The Summit application SPECTRUM is highly
>spindle-sensitive.  We (Lancaster Consulting) and Summit independently
>came to the conclusion that it's best to configure more disk space with
>fewer spindles than the reverse.  (To keep a long story short, CSY
>benchmarks proved this out.)

That should be "it's best to configure larger disks with no more than about
four gb and not allowing your spindle count to drop."

>In fact, in a recent High Availability project for a Summit customer we
>configured two fully-populated HVD10 disk subsystems, using only have the
>actual disk, implemented Mirrored Disk and saw excellent results.

This should be "using only "half" the actual disk.

I apologize for the confusion. Abjectly.

Bill