HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 2

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:31:52 -0600
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:45:49 -0600 (Central Standard Time), Bill
Lancaster <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The Summit application SPECTRUM is highly
>spindle-sensitive.  We (Lancaster Consulting) and Summit independently came
>to the conclusion that it's best to configure more disk space with fewer
>spindles than the reverse.  (To keep a long story short, CSY benchmarks
>proved this out.)

Are you saying then to *reduce* spindle count? Or did I
misunderstand....?

If you are indeed saying to reduce spindle count .. this seems very
counterintuitive. Can you give an explanation why SPECTRUM seems to
function best in an environment which goes against the current wisdom,
if indeed that is the case?