HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 2

From:
THOMAS COOK <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
THOMAS COOK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:47:16 -0600
If you have more than one system, which I assume because you are buying the
EMC unit.

What you can do is to create a few 'logical' drives using one of more of the
EMC drives.

Then you can identify those as your primary system drives.

For example my recent client currently has on 5 systems no interior drives.
All drives in one form or another are on the SYM.

We have had no performance issues as a result of this. In fact we have had
some positive results from say the Third party Software which is connected
to the primary system disc and needs (should be) stage in the system volume
set. For example Netbase/shareplex.

Regards.

Thomas G. Cook

"Wesley Setree" <[log in to unmask]> wrote in message
> We have recently purchased an EMC Symmetrix ( personal preference would
have been XP256 but I digress... :o) )   and I need to convert our data to
the EMC disk drives. My question is this... can the O/S (ldev 1) be
transferred to the EMC? We are using the system volume set so I don't have
user volumes to deal with. Since we are using the system volume set logic
tells me that the O/S would have to reside on the Sym(metrix). Should I keep
ldev 1 or can it be removed from the system? I have 3 drives in the cabinet
now (ldevs 1, 2 and 3) and I cannot think of any reason to either keep or
dispose of them. TIA