HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 1

From:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 13:20:58 -0800
Take a look at PostgreSQL, it is an OODB that is free and open source (you
can buy support if you want) http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/
I'm not sure if it runs on Windows or not, but I know it runs on linux and
unix - take a look and see if it gets you what you need.  I don't know of
another OODB solution floating around at this price, just the Informix
universal database server.

At 12:54 PM 1/3/2001, James B. Byrne wrote:
>If any of you have any suggestions where I might find a
>lightweight OODB that interfaces neatly with VB6 I would
>appreciate them.  We have a project that is a proof of concept.
>A straight-forward 'object to disk to object' is a fundamental
>requirement.  Of course it has to be cheap as well.
>
>I have my doubts about this, particularly with VB6, but "our's
>not to reason why..."
>
>Regards,
>Jim
>
>P.S.
>
>Been to the web.  I fear I don't have enough knowledge to
>evaluate what is what in OODB and I have too little time to
>acquire it.
>---   *** e-mail is not a secure channel ***
>James B. Byrne                Harte & Lyne Limited
>vox: +1 905 561 1241          9 Brockley Drive
>fax: +1 905 561 0757          Hamilton, Ontario
>mailto:[log in to unmask]  Canada L8E 3C3

Regards,

Shawn Gordon
President
theKompany.com