HP3000-L Archives

January 2001, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 13:02:32 EST
Jim writes:

> > Lower the resolution of your printer and see if things don't considerably
>  > speed up. Indeed, at the lowest resolution setting, the 850 should be
>  several times faster than the HP4500 (perhaps 3 times faster).
>
>  We've already done that via the front panel (set the Print Quality Mode
>  Default to be Fast Color, which is supposed to print at 14 PPM); however,
we
>  are still only getting 2 PPM (which is the print speed of the highest
>  resolution).

Curt is correct. I just spent about a half hour playing with the device. In
PCL, the front panel settings do not matter. The printer prints at a stately,
somber 2 PPM in PCL, regardless of the front panel settings.

It's only in PostScript that the font panel settings have any effect, varying
the speed from 14 PPM (under draft quality) to 2 PPM (near-photographic
quality).

Wirt Atmar