SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2001

Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:55:34 -0600
<SNIP>
> We had a great dinner in a little restaurant just off the plaza, and got
Cobalto Azul

<SNIP>
> One thing that was more than weightless was the Reefmaster. I quickly
> discovered that they have made the damned thing positive, a major PITA,
but
> not unmanageable. I guess if you drop it, positive beats negative in some
> scenarios, but I found it an unpleasant trade-off which I will recommend
> that the manufacturer rectify.
>
> It handled well, though, and I was plesantly surprised at the ease with
> which you can switch lenses, as well as the power of the strobes.

I was particularly impressed by the technology in the strobes.  Everything
is slaved off of the built-in strobe so that there are no synch cables to
fuss with and to introduce failure points.  Very slick design.

<SNIP>
> But the highlight for me was my first ever eagle ray! It came swimming
> directly towards us, near the drop-off, and it was a beautiful sight. I
kept
> my heading, and it seemed to get within touching distance (although Chuck
> assured me that it really didn't!), before proceeding on its course
against
> the current.
Closest I saw looked to me like something over 15 feet.  Course, things UW
appear 25% larger/closer or so I was taught in OW class. ;-)

<SNIP>
> This was December 31st, and - as Chuck never tired of reminding everyone -
> therefore the last day before the REAL millennium. I was invited to spend
> New Years Eve at Casa Quetzal, and met many nice people during an evening
> heavy on beer, wine and margharitas, and good food.

And the music from four blocks away that didn't stop til 5:30 AM.  Next
morning about 8:30 we walked to Jeannie's Waffle House (where we ran into
Bjorn of all people) and passed one party just breaking up and another still
going strong.  The locals do party hearty.  Even worse than them people from
Oz.

<SNIP>
> Back in Dallas a few days later, Soyong and I partook of a wonderful lunch
> with (many!) good bottles of wine together with Crusty, Liza, Danna, Chuck
> and Jeannie. Once again, the power of the list had been tested and passed,
> with wonderful diving, great friends and lots of fun. We resolved to
arrange
> another trip next year, and discussed Boynton Beach in Florida as a
possible
> venue. That should lure out more participants for a 2002 NEDFest, apart
from
> Crusty's live-aboard arrangement.

Them as haven't done Boynton Beach shouldn't be critical.  It's cheap, it's
local, it's reasonably good diving with a different set of critters to see.
Back me up on this Lee.

CH