SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2001

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 07:53:27 +1100
Received on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 2:07 AM, Reef Fish wrote:

(snip)
> >I can think of five gas 'Laws';

> WHICH five?  :-)

Boyles; Dalton's; Charles; Henry's - and Grahams! (Sounds like a Marx
Brothers take-off, doesn't it?) :-)

(temporary snip)

> So, here's my honest question (since I ain't no scuba instructor):

> WHICH of the gas laws are taught to instructors:  (a) as required
> working knowledge using them;  (b) as additional theory with no
> working knowledge required?

I guess it will depend on the Instructor level as well as the agency.  I was
certainly taught Boyles Law - for pressure/volume relationships; Dalton's
Law - for partial pressures; Henry's Law - solubility of gas into a
liquid/tissues being directly proportional to pressure; and Charles Law -
pressure/temperature relationships.

While the first three had a direct bearing on the dive itself, Charles Law
was applied when filling cylinders.  In that regard, the four Gas Laws that
I was taught all required a practical understanding of their proper
application.

Strike