SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2001

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:07:52 -0500
On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:56:23 +1100, David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Received on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 7:18 PM, Reef Fish wrote:
>
>(snip)
>> Did these people want to see a demo too when you got to Boyles Law,
>> Charles Law, and other Laws of physics used in scuba theory?
>
>I can think of five gas 'Laws';

WHICH five?  :-)

The most-commonly known ones are:  Boyle's Law, its relative
Charles's Law, the Ideal Gas Law (okay we won't count the "combined
law" for ideal gases) and Dalton's Law.  That's FOUR.

I am quite sure that's four of Strike's five.  :-)

By inference, Strike's fifth is Graham's Law.

But that still leaves several other Gas Laws pertinent to scuba.
One listed in the webpage I referenced was

Guy-Lussac's Third Law.  Perhaps that's absorbed under Charles's
Law, for constant volumes.

Has anyone heard of Avogadro's Law?  Yeah, I know.  Avacadro has. :-)
That was new to me.

So, here's my honest question (since I ain't no scuba instructor):

WHICH of the gas laws are taught to instructors:  (a) as required
working knowledge using them;  (b) as additional theory with no
working knowledge required?

Have you ever HEARD of da Feeesh's Gas Law?

Here it is:  the foul smell of a flatulent is inversely proportional
             to the square root of its loudness in decibels.  :-)

-- Bob.

Sue forwarded me several pieces of wisdom:

On physics:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some
             people appear bright until you hear them speak

On memory:   Everyone has a photographic memory.  Some don't
             have film.

On scuba:    I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without
             sponges.