SCUBA-SE Archives

January 2001

From:
Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:50:26 -0500
Reef Fish wrote

> Speaking of records ... on the "fatal dive" of mine (which brought
> out the Chief Cochroach Mike on rec.scuba to exhibit his skills
> in pedodentistry), the Cockroach AI computer BEEPED at me (which
> I couldn't hear anyway <G>) and FLASHED warning (which I could
> READ) that I must ascend lest I run out of air, when the computer
> CORRECTLY registered 2640 REMAINING psi (in an AL80 filled to 2890
> psi).  :-)

> Can anyone (any computer) beat THAT record?   ;-)

Nope.  I've only had one experience even close to that and it took a mistake
by me (other than buying a bad computer) to do it.  On the 11th or 12th dive
in two days, I failed to reset one of my computers to the nitrox I was
using.  Once used for nitrox, my Oceanics revert to 78% nitrogen, 50% oxygen
until reset for the next dive.  I only bent it by about 20 minutes of what
it considered to be missed deco.  It probably thought I was O2 toxed as
well.  Still, it was annoying enough to do the remaining 5 dives of the trip
with the computer flashing to remind me I was dead and getting deader.
Fortunately for those that were diving with me, none of my present or past
computers are able to beep.  If it had been the computer I wear on my wrist,
it would have been left on the boat to recover.  Unfortunately, it was the
one in the console which is harder to remove than the annoyance merited.
This is the first and only time I was very glad to have two computers.  If I
had been using only one, I would have sat out the last 5 dives of the trip
(by choice, not necessarily because I had to).  Of course, if I'd had only
one, chances are, I would not have failed to reset it.

Lee