HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 5

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 22:07:51 -0500
Wes writes:

> I have the requirement of reading the system log files for online printing
> and collecting the number of pages for billing.  I have successfully done
> this with the job running from MANAGER.SYS.  I'm trying to get this to run
> from my production account so the job can be scheduled and streamed as
> needed.
>
> I have tried adding Priv. Mode to the program.  I have tried to add the
> program to a group in the SYS account.  I keep getting File System Error
93
> which is a Security violation when trying to open the System Log File.
>
> CONSLOG.PUB.TECHXL is able to read the system log files and not be in the
> SYS account.  What am I missing?
>
> Wes "Over my head" Cole

System log files have CReator access restriction, only MANAGER.SYS (or a
user with SM capability) can read the files. When you tested
CONSLOG.PUB.TECHXL were you logged on as a user with SM?

This is a change from previous versions of MPE. IIRC, prior to Release 4.0
(I know, ancient history now) any user on the system could read system log
files. But with 4.0 and beyond the files were created with CR access
restrictions.

:listfile log1529.pub.sys,3
********************
FILE: LOG1529.PUB.SYS

FILE CODE : 0                   FOPTIONS: BINARY,VARIABLE,NOCCTL,STD
BLK FACTOR: 1                   CREATOR : **
REC SIZE: 4092(BYTES)           LOCKWORD: **
BLK SIZE: 4096(BYTES)           SECURITY--READ    : CR
EXT SIZE: 0(SECT)                         WRITE   : CR
NUM REC: 55968                            APPEND  : CR
NUM SEC: 32768                            LOCK    : CR
NUM EXT: 19                               EXECUTE : CR
MAX REC: 4096                           **SECURITY IS ON
                                FLAGS   : NO ACCESSORS
NUM LABELS: 0                   CREATED : TUE, OCT  3, 2000, 11:10 PM
MAX LABELS: 0                   MODIFIED: TUE, OCT  3, 2000, 11:10 PM
DISC DEV #: 1                   ACCESSED: SUN, OCT  8, 2000, 11:09 PM
SEC OFFSET: 0                   LABEL ADDR: **
VOLCLASS  : MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET:DISC

Doug.

Doug Werth                             Beechglen Development Inc.
[log in to unmask]                               Cincinnati, Ohio