HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 5

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:56:44 -0500
I remember using the teletypes.  Three tiered keyboards
because you had to shift to use a number.

Baudot paper tape used 5 holes per row.

ASCII tapes used 7 holes per row.

(My terminology above could be colloquial to teletype
operators, not neccessarily the official definition.)

The 'Stop' bit was appropriately named because it was
occupied by an extra pin in the tape path in case the tape
broke, thereby 'Stop'ping the transmission until the tape
could be re-spliced.

Tracy Johnson
MSI Schaevitz Sensors