HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 4

From:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 08:46:09 -0700
This may have been answered clearly, but since I'm scanning a few days worth
of messages, I'll just throw it in.

IEEE-448 / GP-IB / HP-IB is a byte- or word- at-a-time interface (like
parallel) with hardware handshaking, so it can be very fast.  Printers on
RS-232 are usually configured with software handshaking using XON/XOFF or
ENQ/ACK handshaking, which can slow things down quite a bit, especially if
there are higher latency (ping) times between the host and the printer.  On
older/slower printers at higher baud rates, XON/XOFF characters (my buffer
has room / my buffer is almost out of room) might not reach the host in time
to avoid a buffer overrun, so they need to be configured at much slower baud
rates.  These problems can be exacerbated by the use of PVCs (permanent
Virtual Circuits - emulation of a serial connection over a network.)

Changing an RS-232 printer connection to hardware handshaking might speed up
the printer quite a bit, depending on other conditions.  I seem to remember
some problem trying to eliminate the XON/XOFF when using hardware
handshaking, but that might have been for terminal connections rather than
printers.

-Dave