HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 4

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 17:53:26 +0100
>1) Does the 3000 Java implementation support GUI (AWT or Swing)
> components? If so, how does it work?

As Mark already mentioned, running GUI programs on the 3000 would not
be very desirable from the resource efficiency point of view. I seem
to recall that the early JDK versions allowed redirecting the java.awt
output to an X/11 display server, but this feature has been dropped
with later versions.

Long ago, I've also played with RemoteAWT from the IBM alphaworks web
site, which is a similar "redirect GUI to another machine" approach.
However, I haven't revisited that lately. Not much experience to share.

Using Java Applets for AWT or Swing GUIs is probably a more desirable
approach. Another option is running Java client programs for the GUI
and use some sort of server access (like JDBC or Telnet) to talk to
servlets or standalone server processes on the 3000 side. For Java GUI
client programs (non-applets), I've also used Samba shares to provide
them in a central location (instead of downloading them to each client).

>2) Does anyone know of an app server for the 3000 that supports EJB's?

You might give BEA Weblogic or www.OrionServer.com a try. I installed
their trial versions on MPE long ago, but the complexity of the EJB
framework made me lose interest even before the trial period expired.
Haven't revisited them after I read a little more about the EJB stuff
in general.

Mark already mentioned www.Enhydra.org, which seems to rapidly evolve
into EJB as well (using the Bullsoft Jonas server parts). Enhydra's big
plus (in my opinion) is that is Open Source, so in case something does
not work as expected, it is probably much easier to find out if the MPE
JDK or the EJB server needs a fix.

Lars (not claiming to have much experience with GUI or EJB)