HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 4

From:
"Wayne R. Boyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 14:51:35 EST
Re: half a slot vs. a full slot... Technically the MIO type cards take up two
HP-PB slots while other cards (network interface, SE-SCSI) take a single
HP-PB slot.  It only appears that it's a full or half situation as the CPU
backplane is laid out 2 slots high/wide in most (all?) cases.

I'm pointing this out as HP's marketing/technical info uses the number of
slots to describe their products.  Also, as locations are ID'd by a multiple
of 4, I believe that 4 interfaces could be designed into a single-slot card.
The SE-SCSI also has a parallel interface on it so it's technically a 2
interface card taking up one HP-PB slot.
MPE/iX doesn't have the smarts to understand these multiple interfaces
though.  I believe that HP-UX does and that's why they exist.

Wayne Boyer
Cal-Logic