HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 4

From:
Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:51:04 -0800
The prevailing opinion seems to be "use FTP instead", but one downside is
that FTP is not as easily script-able as DSCOPY. An FTP equivalent to a
single-line DSCOPY command usually requires building an input redirection
file and then parsing the output for errors. I've found Lars Appel's port
of wget to be useful for scripted FTP downloads, but I haven't found a
similar tool that is well suited for "push" operations. Anybody know of
anything?

I suppose one approach could be to write a wrapper script around FTP; it
could even accept command-line input in pseudo-DSCOPY syntax and then parse
it into an FTP input file, then parse output for errors and set CI vars or
jcws accordingly on exit. Probably wouldn't run as fast as native DSCOPY,
but at least it would make subsequent scripts easier to write.

   // thinking in java...
   copiousSpareTimeList.add(new Project("DSCOPY-style FTP wrapper script"));
   while( ! (schedule.spareTimeAvailable()) )
       schedule.keepDoingUrgentStuff();

;-)

--Jon