HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 4

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:49:47 -0800
Dave Darnell wrote:

> Since MPEX is not considered "cost effective" at our side, I use DSCOPY for
> wildcarded local copy; don't even need to create a second session.

(a wonderful 'side-effect' of dscopy, imo :-)

> > From: Tracy Pierce [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
> >
> > I'm under the same impression, and it worries me a bit, as I quite
> > habitually use NS er DS ? for multiple sessions on multiple
> > boxes from one
> > terminal (ok, it's a Windoze PC, and this same scenario is
> > being used in 3
> > separate copies of the R1 client).

same here....

> > To what should I be accustoming myself instead?  (It's really
> > quite handy to
> > have 12 different sessions immediately available this way!)

i've got the impression -- but would love for hp to say something encouraging
-- that while the ds software 'suite' isn't going away, it isn't being enhanced
either.

and someone else privately asked....

> you mean that there will be no changes to dscopy in the future ?
> what about > 4 Gb files ?

(i don't know if dscopy will handle 4gb+ files (anyone from allegro know?).
i've really got my doubts that it would support ;comp *and* 4gb+ files....)

changes to the ds software?  i don't know about that either.  however (as we've
all seen :-), if we (3000-l) can convince csy that continued enhancements to
the ds software (not just bug fixes) are important...well...we might see flying
pigs :-)

i guess this is a good example of how some (a lot, all?) of the newer
(posix-based?) software has a 2nd edge to it's 'sword'.  i mean, if one were to
call the rc asking about using dscopy to transmit a bytestream file (like the
original thread asked), i can almost guarantee the response would be -- use
ftp.  it's a reasonably workaround.  ftp, however, doesn't have the 'elegance'
that dscopy has (imo).  wouldn't it be great if ftp knew how to examine your
file's characteristics and adjust itself -- just like dscopy! -- prior to do
the transfer?  ...and dscopy can do all this from the command line!  otoh, it
would be just as great if dscopy could handle bytestream and hfs files too.
for csy, it boils down to money -- they can spend 'x' dollars to bring the ds
software up-to-date or they can spend 'y' dollars to (continuously?) repair
ftp.  i suspect that 'y' is a smaller number than 'x'.        - d

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer

"Unix _is_ user friendly.
It's just very selective about who its friends are.
And sometimes even best friends have fights."