HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:37:32 -0800
Re:
> What can we do to avoid this? Could we force writing files to disk?
> We are going to decrease much performance?
> How would we handle this problem?

As John mentioned, changing your application to call FCONTROL (file#, 2)
periodically can indeed force your data to disk ... at some performance
cost.  The performance impact will depend upon your system load, the
size of the file, the frequency of FCONTROL 2 calls, and amount of
system memory.

Another technique, possibly involving no coding changes (if you're lucky),
is to attach the file the the Transaction Manager.  With XM, you might
still lose a small amount of data at the end of the file, but you're
guaranteed that if you lose record X, all records written after X will also
be lost.  Or, you're guaranteed that if record X made it to disk, than
all records written prior to X also made it to disk.  This, however, also
has performance implications ... no surprise, *everything* does :)

See: http://raven.utc.edu/cgi-bin/WA.EXE?A2=ind0009A&L=hp3000-l&P=R11197

Which basically shows that for ordinary record access (not MR/NoBuf),
calling FCONTROL 2 after each record is expensive.

Stan Sieler                                           [log in to unmask]
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html          www.allegro.com/sieler