HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
"Wayne R. Boyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne R. Boyer
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 02:03:48 -0500
Ok, here's my understanding of this subject:

The HPSUSAN is derived from the physical serial number on the cabinet and
should never change but CAN be changed via ss_config.

The HPCPUNAME should change when processors are added (or subtracted) and
is also set via ss_config.

Either or both may be determined by some software and that software may
then refuse to run.  I had a client with a 958 which had a 'null' in the
HPCPUNAME field. Didn't show visually but was logically different from a
blank space.  They had no end of headaches with that.

I do not know if a system will sense and use or not use an
additional/subtracted processor without a firmware change.  Worth knowing.
Otherwise hardware changes get tied up with critical software changes.

Now for the REALLY REALLY big question/issue: What legal "rules" does HP
have (if any, and if so, written down where?) Is somebody violating a
license agreement by plugging in additional hardware?  Anybody have any
experience with that one?

Wayne