HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
Larry Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:55:24 -0700
Recently our telnet sessions were having trouble logging on.  At first
it was due to the inetdsec file, I had 2 "telnet allow' lines in the
file becuase there were too many IP's to fit on 1 line.  This was
modified by using the '/' character at the end of the first line.
According to the 'Confguration and Managing MPE/iX Internet Services
Manual  the '/' is place in the last position of the line to signify a
line continuation.  If the '/' is placed anywhere else it is ignored.
For some unknown reason telnet quit working.  BEECHGLEN and I have
worked on this issue for 3 days.  We did pin it down to the inetdsec
file.  What finally worked was I created a new inetdsec file with a
record length of 132 so all my IP's would fit on one line.
I believe the file was a 72 byte record length at one time and was
increased to 80 bytes for what ever reason later on.  I think that when
this file was increased was when telnet quit working.  If so it makes me
wonder if too many blank characters between the last IP and the '/'
character on the telnet statement causes telnet to misbehave.  Has
anyone else out there had experiences similar to this?

--
Larry Barnes
Director of I.T.

Check Us Out !