HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:56:28 -0500
Dave,  breathe.

I'm reminded of the concept in the book by Robert Heinlein (sp?), Starship
Troopers, where military service was required in order to achieve
citizenship.  The idea being that you had to earn your "rights".  Those who
did not want to join the military (or who were unable to) were still
provided with medical care, educational and professional opportunities, etc;
but they were not allowed to vote, and got lesser preference in other areas
(such as birth licenses, since population control was another tenant of his
future world).

I would disagree with required military service as the only path towards
being able to vote, and I would expect any other method by which we might
attempt to "require" an increased level of understanding or participation
would be quickly struck down by existing legislation covering
discrimination.  Too bad.

I wouldn't mind something like..."in order to be a registered voter, you
must either have completed high school (and passed a test showing you
learned a set of minimums), have passed a test equivalent to high school
(think G.E.D.), have completed a tour of duty in the military (with
associated training/testing in government, history, and cultural studies),
or have been granted a waiver by the state for known reasons preventing you
from accomplishing one of the above".

Further, I have often believed that if you "choose" not to vote in more than
two consecutive elections, you should be dropped from the rolls, requiring
you to register again.

My attitudes come from being raised to believe that every 'right' has an
associated 'responsibility'.  For example, I have the right of free speech,
but the responsibility to keep from yelling 'Fire!' in a crowded auditorium.
I have a right to vote, but the responsibility to educate myself so that I
do not participate in electing someone who will harm our way of life.

Regarding Al's response, I think Dave may have made his statement less
eloquently than he could have, but his idea is not so far fetched.  Why
would both George Bush and Al Gore have made education reform in the U.S. so
prominent in their list of campaign issues, if it were not accepted that we
are not, and for some time have not been, educating our children well.  If
they are not educated properly, it can be argued that they are not ready to
participate in the election process and vote from any starting point other
than a partisan or emotional drive.

A cousin of mine chose to home school his children.  My second cousins are
intelligent, articulate and well adjusted individuals.  I would rather work
to improve the school system, but recognize that my children might receive a
better education from the public school system than some others.  This is
because I value education, and would both instill in them that value and
participate in their education.  Others may not do either of these things,
and the education their children receive would suffer for it.

I doubt anything will happen to say "we have to have smarter voters", if for
no other reason than a poorly informed electorate is required in order for
the money to flow the way it always has, and politicians want very much for
that to continue.  Changes will come from this election, however.

If the federal government does not (in the next 18 months) introduce, argue
out, and pass some form of election reform, I feel confident that at least
the Florida legislature will.  The Florida House of Representatives would be
very lucky to get any incumbent reelected if they don't.  Americans on the
whole (and Florideans in particular) have been shown the nooks and crannies
of our election processes this year, and I think most of us realize there's
a lot of junk in the corners that needs to be cleaned out.

My two, uh, seven cents worth.

Rs~

Russ Smith, Systems Consultant
Problem Solved, Vacaville, CA