HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:52:55 -0700

Nick wrote, in part:

> 2.  It is a shame that the one with the largest popular vote
> does not get
>      "elected".  Our "wonderful" politicians should have
> fixed that a long time
>
>      ago.

From my point of view, which is both reactionary and that of a person who
has lived most of his life in the less populated states, changing to a
purely popular vote would be truly going in the wrong direction.

Many of us still take the view, as did many of the Founding Fathers, that
this "Nation" is as much a federation of states as it is a nation (so call
me a Federalist.)  The present system is a compromise between the extremes
of totally Federal government and a loose confederation of independent
states, both of which were common preferences in the late 18th century.

I definitely do not want California and the East Coast deciding my fate!

Aside:
Those who read yesterday's Supreme Court opinion would realize that the
states are not even compelled to hold a popular election for US President -
the legislature may choose the electors if that is how the state wants to
set it up.  I like that a lot because then those in less populated
congressional districts get more say per voter (via their elected
representatives), and again, the city dwellers don't have sole determination
over the results.

-dtd

-Dave