HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 2

From:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Russ Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:01:05 -0500
Along a similar line, and as this relates to NASA, Wirt should comment....

NASA is jumping into the "critical and stable software" arena to head a
group of companies coming up with reliable and stable software.  I don't
have specifics, but did hear some of a press conference on this, yesterday.
Hearing the excerpts yesterday, my brain kept repeating "MPE already
does/has that" as they listed their goals.  The plug_n_play driver area was
the only thing that I don't think the 3000s have a very good handle on (or
am I the only person who has ever had to reboot to release a session locked
executing the DOIONOW command file).

Don't some of NASA's facilities use 3000s?  Maybe this group of "stability
gurus" should look in their own data center for a good example of how a
stable and flexible operating system is built.

Rs~

Russ Smith, Systems Consultant
Problem Solved, Vacaville, CA
r s m i t h @ c u - h e l p . c o m