HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 1

From:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 09:49:54 -0800
I wanted to thank those who have contributed to the ideas about ATM Voting.
You all have great ideas and perspectives that are very useful... I'm having second thoughts about it too, thanks to some of the input.

I have taken the liberty of posting your responses to the www.mind-set.com site (using some editing to protect privacy).
If any of you for whom I have done the posing have objections, I can remove the post that was placed there on your behalf from the e-mail.

It would be nice to preserve the information because it is always better to share differences.

Any may post to the site now, and I will fix the picture tonight.

-----
OT: Midi Music

There will be some delays in what I intended to post to the MPE iX / OS/390 portion of the site because of managing potential lawsuits for having midi music on the site.

It turns out that there are several companies who are using the Copyright Laws to bilk people out of millions of dollars.

They have copyrighted the MIDI process and put a Copyright notice in the midi file, then, if you pick up a midi file that they have "marked", you are liable to paying royalties--the least of which is 7 cents per access on the Internet.

It matters not that you are not a commercial site nor charge anything for the music:  People are being served summons to appear in court in California.

Mostly, they settle out of court.

One web site was particularly hard hit.

I have "hidden" my "Music Player" page by making it somewhat less obvious to public scrutiny, but I need to do much more than that.

I have already gone through the letter "G" in my midi files to make certain that I have either sequenced them myself, or resequenced them. I have also taken more music off the pages that have the music embedded.

I am also thinking to change the folder to start with _ (underscore), so it is not so easily scanned by automated software, looking for this sort of thing.

This takes time.

Away from other things.

The irony is that these Corporations have sequenced copyrighted music into midi files, and you can sure bet they aren't paying royalty fees for each access to the original copyright holder at the same rate they are charging others.

Copyright law is an important protection to people who make their livelihood selling their creations; I understand and support that.
The problem is that there are always the unscrupulous who take advantage of the innocent.

I am currently working on the full orchestral score of "Arietta" by Leroy Anderson (using scanning software from a company who is suing people) and will probably post it on my web site in a week or two.
I purchased the score from the Woodbury Music Company and paid full value for the score.

Wouldn't it be fun if I could countersue one of these companies for stealing MY midi file?