HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 1

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 10:46:18 -0600
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:00:53 -0600 (Central Standard Time), Andreas
Schmidt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>for MPE:
>
>RAID 1 is a one-to-one mirroring. duplicates disk space and H/W.
>
>RAID 5 uses parity information on one disk. better for disc space
>requirements but if a disk fails the missing info must re-calculated for
>each byte as part of the RAID H/W.
>We had RAID 5 with 3 or 5 disks where 2 or 4 have been used netto (2/3 or
>4/5 of named disccap could be used).

Actually, RAID 5 puts parity information on ALL disks in the RAID 5
set. RAID 3, however, has a dedicated parity disk like you describe.
This difference has implications for write performance and
serialization vs. concurrence of multiple disk I/O requests.