HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 1

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:14:02 +0100
(silently moving away from the original QTP topic ;-)

James,

> I am SURE that 'dem 'N-gneers can find other things raised on
> the list that interest them.  I usually take COGNOS things to
> the COGNOS list, but ...

Oops. Maybe my terse reply was a little misleading. I totally agree
that it would be nice to have as many RC engineers on HP3000-L
as possible. My comment was just that it might not have helped in
the given case, which was QTP specific.

> (...) in most cases, the HP3000-L provides answers to our
> questions, faster than we ever got them from the RC. (...)

Yes, indeed, the HP3000-L technology framework is (in my own,
personal opinion) far more effective (fast and easy to use) than
the fancy-schmancy HP RC infrastructure. At least when it comes
to asking "just a quick question". Probably not when it comes to
dealing with a down system ;-)

Part of this is probably due to the technical aspect of using mail
or newsgroup for communication, instead of working through phone
menu systems, talking with intermediate persons, getting routed
around, etc. On HP3000-L you reach "the right people" directly

Another part is surely the "combined brain" of many many people,
that a single RC engineer (or even small team) can hardly compete
with (in knowledge, pattern recognition, experience, etc).

> You, and your colleagues', presence on the list are greatly
> appreciate by me.  However poorly I phased it, I meant to
> suggest that HP should officially push the HP3000-L as the
> "first-line" support venue.  Then, if a problem was really sticky,
> and the question was raised by someone with a support
> contract, an HP engineer could be assigned directly to the
> case, without having to go through the tele-centre bumpff.

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me (not looking at the
support contract/level aspects for the moment). I do wonder
why RC engineers are encouraged to spend time on the ITRC
helping customers instead of using the proven HP3000-L forum.
Again, just lappel speaking here, not @grc.hp.com or alike.

[more good points about written questions/cut&paste snipped]

Lars.

(I noticed your reply CC to the list, so I'm following your example ;-)