HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 1

From:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 06:54:26 +0200
Greetings

Backup is becoming a real issue on our Health Care sites - even on a small
site, capacities run into 80 - 90 GB.
We use DDS3 now, sometimes in parallel, and try to keep backup times down
below 2 - 3 hours, but this becoming unworkable.
With Hardware Compression, we generally get a 3 -1 ratio, so we can fit up
to 36GB on a single media.
I don't think DDS4 is supported on K series boxes (our favourites).

I'm looking for a quantum leap in backup speed.
At HPWorld I saw LTO (Linear Tape Open) drives and media.
From HP's website at http://www.hp.com/tape/ultrium/index.html :-

"The ultra-fast HP SureStore Ultrium 230 stores up to 200 GB* of data on a
single tape at a sustained transfer rate of 30MB/s*. With ultimate
reliability and ease of use in mind, the rugged design builds on the best
existing technologies to create a new level of data protection."

Now, this sounds better - If I can get 3-1 on these babies, I'll have 300 GB
per stick, all within 2 hours. And the technology is at it's very beginning
- so we should expect the same exponential advances as we saw with DDS - 1
through 4.

Question is, are they real, and do they work on K series HP3000's?

Of course, I won't retire until there is Liquid Memory Technology (LMT)
available on tap, and we can just pour data into LMT Vessels :)

Regards

Neil