HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 1

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:38:02 -0800
Andreas commented regarding placing groups in the same
account onto different volume sets:

>Yes, but I don't really recommend this, probably only for one
>exception:  heavily used database group on a seperate volume
>set connected with seperate card(s) to spread the I/O.
>Basically there is no rule.

>We have in place  * an UDC to ensure that NEWGROUPs will
>be put onto the same volumeset like the account's "master"
>group PUB resides, and * a checkjob to show any groups
>not belonging to the same volume set as the PUB.account group.

I would like to voice my support for Andreas' comments. If you
keep the acct on one (1) volume set then you can go further and
cause any 'newgroups' within that account to be on the correct
volume-set by interrogating the PUB group dynamically at newgroup
time. This removes the need for everyone to keep remembering
the particular volume-sets in use.

Duane Percox