HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 1

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:02:05 -0800
"Chana, Harpreet TCS1C" wrote:

> We are heaving a ADSM Backup Archive Server. A IBM Product i.e TIVALI
> Storage Management Solution. ( a centralised backup System)
> Right now my all the NT, Sun, HP-UX backup are being done by that server. So
> daily ADSM is taking backup from 400-600GB.

as several have pointed out, roc software has an adsm product in some state
(beta?) of availability.

> I Wish to do my HP3000/968RX, 960, and 966 with ver 5.5 pp7, models backups
> on that server. Is it possible to configure that server on HP3000. If yes.
> then how?

it's fairly straight forward.  the biggest issue is having a 100bt card in your
systems.  backing up 'over the wire' is quite intensive and not a pretty thing
on 10bt.

> If it works then daily I can save my 4-5 hours + reliability.

perhaps.

i liken adsm to something like pandora's box (and probably with great big
teeth!).  the original concept behind adsm is -- you do *one* full backup *once*
and perpetual partials from there on out <eek>.  (it's no wonder folks brag
about how fast a backup is using that kind of methodology....)  now, take that
picture and imagine trying to restore an image database <cold shivers>.

we use adsm here to backup everything except our mpe systems (and we are quite
grateful (even if some mpe backups take over 30 hours....)) and they use the
perpetual partial scheme.  one of our unix admins tried to do maintenance work
in netscape-land.  it ended up blowing away thousands of emails -- that people
actually wanted back (imagine that :-).  after 2 (or more?) weeks of trying to
get things restored, they finally said 'gosh, sorry but it can't be done'.
strange how the adsm backup scheme is going to be changed to baseline (ie, do a
full backup) each server once a week (sound familiar? :-).

so....adsm *can* be a help but it's a brave new world.  and probably one that
needs alot of forethought before entering (and did i mention kevlar underware?

--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer

"Unix _is_ user friendly.
It's just very selective about who its friends are.
And sometimes even best friends have fights."