HP3000-L Archives

December 2000, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 17:50:11 EST
Let me say that we've already gotten at least 250 new requests for calendars
this year. The consequence of this is that I've given up trying to answer
everyone's email personally (other than for those who's address wasn't
perfectly clear). If you haven't gotten a bounce notice by now, presume that
we have received your email and that you are now on the list.

We've also gotten a number of requests from Europe and Canada asking why
we're discriminating against them. The reason is simple: cost. Within the US,
we can use US Post Office-supplied triangular mailing boxes, with the cost of
postage being about $3/box. Unfortunately, these boxes are only good for
domestic mailings.

However, UPS and FedEx do both have equivalent boxes. In that regard, I just
priced UPS and FedEx costs to Canada and Europe. UPS is $91 per box; FedEx is
$48. While we did send about 50 calendars to Europe last year, as you can
guess, the cost rapidly does become prohibitive.

Nonetheless, I don't want to slight anyone, so let me compromise. If you
really would like a calendar, and you live outside the US (even if you can
see from your office, as one requestor said :-), we would be pleased to
produce one for you if you would be good enough to send us your FedEx or UPS
account number so that we may bill shipping charges against that account.

I wish there were another way, but this year the Grinch did steal Christmas.

Wirt Atmar