SCUBA-SE Archives

December 2000

From:
Christian Gerzner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:53:15 +1100
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:22:22 -0600, Chuck Hopf <[log in to unmask]>
responded to a question as to the suitability/desirability of cave
training for a dive called the Devil's Throat in Coz:

> I would rather it was.  Taking a new diver down the throat is just an
> accident waiting to happen  and I suspect it will eventually.  What will
>  happen when someone goes OOA half-way?  Where do they get air or
> even let someone know they need air?  I dont like that dive for that reason.
> Too many times the other divers are OCN that are halfway through their air
> supply before they ever enter. Toss in some narcosis and it is a dangerous
> place to be (but that is just MO).

I assume, from what Chuck said, that there is a top entry as well as a
bottom exit.

I've never been there (of course) but, surely, if a tight restriction is
potentially so dangerous why, shouldn't one then do it from the bottom
going up? Seems to me that there are, often as not, DM's along on these
dives that know the area intimately so whether you enter at the top or
the bottom should be equally easy.

Indeed if entering holes in coral, and I'm sure a lot of us have done
it, then this should surely be the preferred option unless on a flat reef?

The advantages of that seem to be rather obvious.

Or am I missing something?

Christian