SCUBA-SE Archives

December 2000

From:
Krazy Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 04:34:19 -0500
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:24:40 -0500, Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Every once in a while, I get to send something good.  The data is not
>mine, I'm only the reporter, but I think you'll agree that it's better
>than anything we expected.
>
>A recent study found that 98 percent of snook caught by biologists and
>volunteer anglers throughout Florida survived catch and release...

<big snip of the kiwi shears>
That certainly is interesting statistics. I will have to check out how we
are progressing with our tag & release programmes over here.

Lee's opening line "Every once in a while, I get to send something good" is
my opening line in the paragraph, except mine is "Every once in a while, I
get to DO something good". My good samaritan act for the Y2K period was
rescuing a wayward turtle!

Last night I was yacking away as usual to my next door neighbour while he
was driving down the freeway heading home. We get to our usual off-ramp &
see a weird shape on the road. Going around it & glancing back we realise
its a long neck tortoise who is very intent on going up the wrong way of
the freeway off-ramp & heading to the main freeway. There is no time for us
to stop as the light is green so I urge my neighbour to drive a little
faster & race home for my car. Its small so I can park it off the road
without causing traffic chaos.

I race down my drive & there is Fluffy sitting in his cat box atop my car
waiting for his cuddles. Fluffy & box are chucked in the car, as he enjoys
car rides, I zoom off to rescue the turtle. Parking illegally I put my
hazard lights on and nip off running up the off-ramp fearing the worst ..
looking for a very squashed critter.

Cant see him anywhere so run on further & am amazed to see he has made it
from the freeway side of the off-ramp to the gutter nearest the lake but he
is merrily racing on into the break-down area. I manage to catch up with
him before he gets in to the main thorough-fare. Picking him up he's
immediately on the defensive. Legs going in all directions with sharp long
claws trying to get me. He then turns his long neck sideways & tries to
take a bite.

I had great difficulty holding on to him as he was quite heavy but I
managed to get all the way back round the fences to the lake. He also
smells to high heaven .. must be that vegan diet! As soon as I release him
in a nice spot he was off into the water. Then I curse to myself that I
missed a great photo opportunity :-(  Them's the break!!

Get back to the car & promise Fluffy some fresh fish for being such a
patient put-tat & putting up with an eccentric carer ;-))
Viv