SCUBA-SE Archives

December 2000

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:53:36 +1100
On Wednesday, December 13, 2000 5:33 PM, Val E. Cummins wrote:

> There are two times in a diver's career when they are extremely dangerous
> themselves.
>
> 1. When they have about 20 - 30 dives under their belt and THINK they know
it
> all...
>
> 2. Just after becoming instructors when they KNOW they know it all...
<grin>!!!!

G'Day, Val!  And ain't that the God's honest truth?  :-)

(Big snip of some good stuff)

>I took her card away from her because I refuse to have anyone I teach
> die. I care too much for the people I teach!! They are my future dive
buddies, my
> friends and companions and I do not like to go to funerals. And she had
proven in
> my estimation that she could not think for herself when it came to safety
in
> diving. I think most instructors here would agree with my assessment - at
least I
> sure hope so. <grin>!!

Well!  I would.  But I gave all the glory of being an Instructor away this
year!  :-)

> I also think most if all of the OLD divers on this forum will agree with
me that
> one of the rules in diving is - that if you are not cave certified - you
do NOT
> dive in caves - no matter what level you are certified to. If you don't
follow the
> simple rules - you die.

Horribly and painfully!  As the scratchmarks into solid rock and metal
together with broken fingernails and raw finger pads on the corpses
recovered from overhead diving fatalities will attest!

> Cave training is not just about equipment and techniques -
> it's about finding out if you have the "mind set" to dive safely in
caves... You
> haven't done that mental check yet - and it's done by an instructor - not
by you.
> This is more important than the correct techniques...

> So in conclusion, let me be added to the list of those who care, want to
see you
> on the list for years to come and is suggesting very strongly - that you
do not
> dive anywhere near caves until you are certified as a cave diver.. Please
get to
> be OLD, not be remembered as too BOLD!!!

That's great advice, Val.  (Hopefully, Brad will begin to appreciate what it
is that folks are trying to tell him?)

> Yours in Safety.
> Mr. Val E. Cummins
> Old, not Bold <grin>!!!

I take great pride in the yellow streak running up the middle of my back.
It means - hopefully - that I'll be around to terrorise my kids, friends,
family and neighbours for years to come!  :-)

Strike