SCUBA-SE Archives

December 2000

From:
Julian Pool <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 22:45:11 +1100
With the Pacific a little on the wild side, we decided to dive at Fairlight
on Saturday instead of Shelly.  Fairlight for those not knowing the area is
on the shores of Sydney Harbour near Manly.

Viz at Fairlight is nearly always on the poor side and Saturday was true to
form.  However, we took a route out along the rock ledge from the beach and
saw two large lionfish - one was around 40cm across and the largest I have
ever seen in the area (the temperatures around Sydney are not the best for
these creatures).

We also saw large several groups of black and white nudibranchs clustered
together in ball like clusters of 10-12.  Each creature was fairly large
5-6cm and quite plump.  None of us had ever seen this type of behavior
before and wondered if it was some kind of breeding activity - perhaps
someone knows ?

Fairlight is famous for nudibranchs and you always see plenty of them in all
manner of colour - and Saturday was no exception.

Julian