HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 4

From:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:45:12 -0700
Steve,

80% is a good rule of thumb.  The idea being that for master sets, the
hashing of the indexes starts to become much less efficient.  This is
because the location that the key value hashes to may be already in use by a
previous entry, so another location is used.  Then, a find on that key value
takes extra disk seeks.  Similar structural degradations can occur with
other types of indexes and sets  Also, the 80% rule is often used to make
sure the dreaded "dataset full" error does not occur.

For an explanation of the internal indexing mechanisms, see the
TurboImage/XL manual under "Internal Techniques."

For a better way to prevent full datasets, see the section on Dynamic Data
Set Expansion

-Dave

http://explorer.msn.com