HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 05:24:45 -0500
Steve Belkacem wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In the dim and distant past, I remember that there was
> a way to bridge over DTC traffic over a WAN with a
> serail connection. I believe that it involved a couple
> of DTC's and did not involve Openview.

If you "really bridge" it and own all the infrastructure between your
central site and the remote DTCs, yes.  You can simply bridge
unilaterally (not terribly efficient), bridge 802.3 encapsulated packets
(better), or set a protocol type filter to only bridge AFCP and ADCP
protocol types.  You'll have to pull out your magic decoder ring for
those values, I don't think they are listed by the IANA references.

If you don't own the whole infrastructure, you *may* be able to tunnel
it over IP, with the above caveats on what packets you bridge through
the tunnel (I'm speaking cisco routers here, your mileage may vary with
another vendor).

So yes, it is possible in certain situations, but not terribly efficient
if you have mixed protocols on your network (especially
802.3-encapsulated Novell IPX).

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>