HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 4

From:
Dan Behman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Behman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 17:02:18 -0600
Hello,

Our porting project is quite significant in size, and unfortunately, because
of the fact that the initial coding was done on a platform that didn't trap
on unaligned data access, we have a sizeable amount of badly aligned code.

When we ported to HP-UX, we obtained libhppa.a which contains the function
allow_unaligned_data_access().  We call this function when we get a SIGBUS
and it allows us to continue on our merry way, with of course, a performance
hit (which is acceptable).

I've been speaking to HP developer support, and they tell me that such a
function does not exist on MPE and they've suggested a few other things to
try.  Unfortunately, due to time constraints, we desperately need some sort
of alignment handler and we really don't want to start writing our own.

Has anyone else done any work related to this?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Behman
Advanced Systems Development
[log in to unmask]     (416) 448-4416