HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 4

From:
Goetz Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Goetz Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 01:31:55 -0600
Jim Phillips wrote:

> Emerson, Tom # El Monte <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Your UPS is notifying the CPU that incoming power is getting flaky (either
> > that, or the batteries are starting to fade...)  Notifying EVERY
> > serially-connected-non-printer device is the default behaviour for the UPS
> > software, however this can be altered by a recent patch to the OS (for
> 6.0,
> > at least)
>
> Well, we're on 5.5 PP7 so that, I guess, explains that.  Thanks for the
> reply, Tom.  I guess I had just never noticed it before.

FYI, the patch is MPELX33 and is GR available for 5.5, 6.0 and 6.5.
It is a relative recent patch, and so it did not make it into the
latest Powerpatches for 5.5 and 6.0, it is in PP1 for 6.5 though.

You will have to read the patch description and create a config file
for it to make changes to the powerfail message routing, I am appending
parts of the patch text.

HTH,
Götz.

* * *

External Symptoms, Cause, Fix Description
This patch implements two enhancements to the UPS Monitor/iX
software.  The two enhancements are:

(1) Support for the new HP PowerTrust II Uninterruptible Power
    System (UPS).  Includes UPS MONITOR Version 8 and UPSUTIL
    Version A.01.03.

(2) Enhancement to allow user configuration of the routing of
    the system message "** RECOVERY FROM POWERFAIL **".  This
    message is issued by the UPS Monitor/iX software when it
    detects that power has been restored after an interruption.
    (Because of the UPS, the rest of the system does not notice
    this interruption and continues normal processing.)  See
    "Customer Environment Changes" below for details on
    configuring the powerfail recovery message.

Customer Environment Changes
============================
HP recommends that customers installing this patch on a system
with an HP PowerTrust UPS unit (either the new model or any
previous model) create file UPSCNFIG.PUB.SYS as a fixed-length
record ASCII file with a record length from 32 to 128 bytes
(standard MPE text file which can be created by any MPE editor).
The file should contain 2 lines.  The first line should always
contain the name of the file, i.e. it should say:

upscnfig.pub.sys

To configure the "** RECOVERY FROM POWERFAIL **" message to be sent
to the system console and all logged-on DTC- and Telnet-connected
user terminals, which is the traditional (and default) message
routing, the second line should say:

powerfail_message_routing = all_terminals

To send the "** RECOVERY FROM POWERFAIL **" message only to the
system console (ldev 20), the second line should say:

powerfail_message_routing = console_only

If UPSCNFIG.PUB.SYS does not exist, the "** RECOVERY FROM
POWERFAIL **" message defaults to the "all_terminals" setting,
which is where the message traditionally has been sent.  But
when the UPSCNFIG.PUB.SYS file does not exist, users will also
see one of the following warning messages on the console during
system boot.

With the 5.5 and 6.0 versions of this patch, you will see:

   UPS Monitor error: Unable to read message #624 of message set #137
   from SYSCAT.PUB.SYS (UPSERR 9998)

Message #624 of message set #137 is not added to SYSCAT.PUB.SYS by
the 5.5 and 6.0 versions of this patch.  With the 6.5 version of
the patch, you will see the correct message:

   Nonexistent UPS Monitor configuration file "UPSCNFIG.PUB.SYS".
   File does not exist. (UPSERR 0624)

Once the UPSCNFIG file has been created and initialized, it will
be recognized and used by the UPS Monitor when the system is rebooted.
The configuration in the UPSCNFIG file can also be activated online
by running the enhanced UPSUTIL program which is included in this
patch.  For example:

:run upsutil.mpexl.telesup
.
..
..
UUPSUTIL: Command > newconfig
Begin SET NEW CONFIG FILE UPS Monitor operation

  Enter the file name of the new configuration file (file.group.account)
  New config file name? upscnfig.pub.sys

SET NEW CONFIG FILE UPS Monitor operation successfully initiated.

End SET NEW CONFIG FILE UPS Monitor operation

Hardware Dependencies
This patch is required on all e3000 systems which use an
HP PowerTrust II UPS.  It is also recommended for customers with
any HP PowerTrust UPS unit, who wish to be able to configure the
routing of the "** RECOVERY FROM POWERFAIL **" message.