HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 4

From:
"Sohrt, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sohrt, Jeff
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:22:24 -0800
Regarding 6.5:
we installed it without a hitch and I understand that HP now has a
PowerPatch 2 for it so make sure you get that.   In addition, give up any
emotional attachment to SYSDIAG because it's gone and replaced by the posix
utility "cstm" -- see the communicator.  No problems so far.

Regarding reloads:
Why do it unless you have to because of a disk crash or about to crash...???
We recently reloaded our system volume set (ldevs 1 and 2) because HP
notified us (via analysis of Predictive Support sends) that a disk was
experiencing errors.

The procedure for bringing the system back was amazingly simple, but then we
only had two 4 GB drives configured on the sys vol set.  The process was:
(paraphrased)
0) create a CSLT right before, run CHECKSLT from the TELESUP acct
1) store @[log in to unmask]@;directory;onvs=(the sys vol)
2) verify your backup is good (vstore)
3) replace the bad drive
4) bring up system, INSTALL via CSLT
5) run VOLUTIL to set up the 2nd drive
6) re-boot to make sure drive comes up okay
7) restore @[log in to unmask]@ (minus the log files and with OLDDATE) and ;DIRECTORY
8) re-boot again and voila

jds