HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 4

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:51:20 -0500
I sent a request to the Powerhouse list earlier and haven't had
any reply so I thought that I would cast my net a little wider.

I am trying to do something which I believe I have done many
times before.  However it isn't working and I must be
overlooking something obvious.

Running QTP7.29C8 I wish to open a new subfile in request1,
destroying any existing subfile.  I then wish to add some
records.  This part works.  I would be somewhat abashed if I
couldn't get this part to work!

Now, in request2 of the same run I want to count the number
of records in the above mentioned subfile and append a record
containing the count to that subfile.  This I can't get to work.  I
have gone at this two ways.

First with:

ACCESS *X
TEMP TCOUNT
ITEM TCOUNT INITIAL 1 COUNT
SUBFILE X ALIAS AS Y APPEND AT FINAL &
        INCLUDE TCOUNT

Next with:
ACCESS *X
TEMP TCOUNT
OUTPUT *X ALIAS AS Y ADD AT FINAL
        ITEM TCOUNT INITIAL 1 COUNT

Neither of these will append any record to the subfile
previously created.  If I subfile to a new subfile with the KEEP
option then both the file and the record are created with the
correct information.  If I subfile or output to the existing file
declared in the access statement then no record shows up in
the file.

The program complies without error, and runs without error in
all of the afore-mentioned cases.  In all cases request2 reports
that it added 1 record. However when I open the file to view the
records there are only those created in request1.  To simplify
matters I am only writing out one record in request1.

What am I overlooking?

Regards,
Jim
---   *** e-mail is not a secure channel ***
James B. Byrne                Harte & Lyne Limited
vox: +1 905 561 1241          9 Brockley Drive
fax: +1 905 561 0757          Hamilton, Ontario
mailto:[log in to unmask]  Canada L8E 3C3