HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 4

From:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:36:23 -0500
At 11:16 AM 11/28/2000 -0600, Tom Hula wrote:
>I also do not want to get into this, but I do have one comment. Those cards
>with chads are used all over the country. I used them in Michigan. The
>standard around the country is that a machine will count those votes and
>that dimpled chads will not get counted. Also, even though I am fairly sure
>that my vote was correct, it is possible that chads in the card reader
>invalidated my vote. The error level of these cards has been accepted in our
>"democracy" (or was that representational republic) all across the country
>to lower the cost of voting. But now, all of a sudden, every ballot is more
>than a piece of paper, it is the voice of an American. At least it is in
>Florida. Apparently, Michigan doesn't count.

Some places in Michigan still use punch cards, others don't.  I used the
"scantron" ballot.  I think the City of Detroit changed to scantron ballots
from machines a while ago.

I saw a breakdown someplace (last week's Time Magazine?) which IIRC said
that ~34% of voting precincts use punch cards, ~30% use scantron, the
remainder use other forms of voting (machines, computer, paper, etc.)