HP3000-L Archives

November 2000, Week 2

From:
Robert Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:28:52 -0000
We currently have two uses for Samba:

1) GE Desktop*EDI (from GEIS) on a PC is used to translate/send/receive our
Tradacom EDI messages. The folders that hold the inbound and outbound
messages are not on the PC but are HFS directories on our HP979. The only
other way to do this transfer is via FTP or Reflection File Transfer.

2) We have a Credit Management system that runs on an PC server. A large
amount of data (approx 1.5M entries in total) is extracted from the HP979
for loading into the CM system. The CM system reads the data from a drive on
the network which is really an HFS directory on the HP979. The only other
way to do this transfer is via FTP.

Planned usage for Samba:

1) Replace ALL internal file transfers between HP979 and PC's.
2) Make HP979 serial printers available to PC's.

Setting it up:

Have a read of 'Configuring and Managing MPE/iX Internet Services'. You can
find it http://www.docs.hp.com/mpeix/pdf/32650-90859.pdf I downloaded and
printed it. It's now bound and lives in my documentation cabinet along with
the other HP manuals.

Hope that this helps you.

regards,
Robert W.Mills (Windsong Services)